Sunday, June 19, 2016

Mapping Tools

The maps below were created to practice using two types of mapping tools. The maps highlight popular Namibian biodiversity hot spots.

 

The first map was created with Google MyMaps. As a new user with little to no experience using basic mapping or GIS tools, I found MyMaps pretty easy to use. The instruction video is helpful, and the design is intuitive enough to get you started. I was comfortable identifying and marking places, but it was a bit harder for me to manipulate the line tools and clearly outline regions or parks.




The second map was created using ArcGIS Explorer. I was excited to try this tool, but found it was a lot harder and not nearly as intuitive as MyMaps. This program isn't compatible with Mac OSX, so had some difficulty there, but was able to find a Windows computer to use. I was able to understand most of the basic functions offered in the program, but then had a difficult time trying to share the completed map.

As a user, I found MyMaps much more enjoyable to use. It was a good introductory mapping tool, and feel like with a bit more practice, I'd feel pretty comfortable using it. I'd be willing to use ArcGIS Explorer again, but would need to spend time understanding how it works, so am not as easily frustrated.


No comments:

Post a Comment